Saturday, October 27, 2012

Twitter's role in optimizing IT

What if you could get a tweet that your house temperature has fallen below a critical temperature; or that your basement could report that the humidity is too high; or your oven could tweet that I have been on for too long. Possibilities are endless - can this happen?
This is not a new domain of solutions. Many of these systems already have a mechanism of texting you or calling you. Software systems have been paging for some time now. RedPrairie EMS system can email you, page you, or even ping you on Yahoo IM - but that is the exact problem, there is no consistency in these solutions. Now that everyone has adopted twitter, could we finally have a consistent mechanism for raising alerts?
What if twitter could offer following relaxation to their terms or offer new concepts:
  • Allow programs to create entities that can tweet. So for example when an order is created on amazon, that order could then start tweeting its progress.
  • Programmatically add me as "follower" of this new order
  • Programmatically remove these users after some time.
  • Provide security concept so that if someone looks at my profile, they cannot see this class of "users". Some of the information in these tweets may be confidential - like my address
If something like this could be agreed upon, then we could have home appliances with a twitter symbol on them. Open the manual and it will have a serial number that you can "follow". Since wifi is so ubiquitous now these appliances could simply use that to send important alerts in a consistent manner. I could get tweets from my furnace.
In addition to that orbitz or Delta Airlines would stop calling me or sending me text messages, instead I could simply "follow" the flight number and the flight could be sending tweets to send updates.
As I said - it is not a new concept but what twitter offers is a way for everyone to talk the same language - if twitter wants to play this game. Twitter technology allows this - but will there imagination allow it? What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think that would be brilliant and it's much needed. Sounds like ifttt.com is heading in that direction already. Check 'em out Saad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All thanks to Mr Anderson for helping with my profits and making my fifth withdrawal possible. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options. it is a highly lucrative business which can earn you as much as $2,570 in a week from an initial investment of just $200. I am living proof of this great business opportunity. If anyone is interested in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing notify Mr Anderson now.Whatsapp: (+447883246472 )
    Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete